[RC5] DES 2 (in preparation of)

B aka B balzak at metsys-open.demon.co.uk
Fri Jan 2 19:15:31 EST 1998

Greetings All,

I am new to all of this, though I fully support any and all efforts to prove
that ANY type of 'encryption' can be broken and thus NO such system is safe
enough to trust totally...

I have a few questions though, even having read the web-pages and the postings
made since I joined this list...

1) As I understand it, there is a central server controlling the distribution of
each of the quadzillion (or more) packets to be tested for the hidden message so
that each is only processed once.  Anyone participating (ie contributing their
spare processor time) has a client on their machine that downloads a set of
packets when they dial-in and connect to the Internet, and uploads any completed
'results' from the previous batch once processed by their client - which all
happens behind the scenes when their computer/LAN is doing nothing else.  Is
this understanding right?

2) As far as the competition is concerned, how is the 'winner' discerned?  If
all the calculations, etc are being handled in the background, how would you
know if one of 'your' packets held the solution?  I assume the distributing
server keeps a record of who had what or the individual clients break into a
'celebration' algorythm?

3) When up/downloading packets during a dial-in, how long will it take to
complete the transaction?  Ie, how long @ 28k8 (for example) will the process
need the line kept open for?

4) And finally;
>No, the current personal proxies will not support DES.
>(ie, you can't just delete your rc5-64 buffers and have them replaced
>with DES buffers)
>You will need to upgrade to the DES/RC5-64 clients, and upgrade your
>proxy.
When and where will these programs be available?

Regards 'n' respect,
B aka B.

To unsubcribe, send 'unsubscribe rc5' to majordomo at llamas.net