[RC5] [ON TOPIC] Cedric's connection problem

Cedric Tefft cedric at earthling.net
Sat Jan 3 13:15:13 EST 1998

Greg Wooledge wrote:
> Actually, you might want to consider that perhaps it's your firewall.
> You say you've managed to successfully load web pages from ports such
> as 8001, but perhaps ports in the 2000 range are being blocked in the
> outgoing direction by the firewall.

Well, I'm equating the HTTP proxy to the firewall since I don't really
know what's on the other side of the proxy.  But I know what you're
saying.  Although there's no way I can get shell access to the
firewall/proxy, I can try a web page lookup on a regular web server in
the 2000 port range.  Anybody know of a publicly accessable standard web
server living on a port in the 2000 range?

> Also, with the HTTP proxy, make sure you plug in the IP address
> of one of the keyservers, rather than relying on the round-robin
> rc5proxy.distributed.net alias.  This seems to clear up many problems
> when using the HTTP proxy.

I've tried the IP addresses of the actual keyservers.  I've also tried
the names of the actual keyservers (as in my example).  None of it made
any difference.

- Cedric

*      Cedric Tefft: Proto-Human, Reluctant Programmer     *
*            email: cedric at earthling.net                   *
* PGP FingerPrint: E114-CA05-E498-8A88-0762-79BB-A117-C59B *
To unsubcribe, send 'unsubscribe rc5' to majordomo at llamas.net