[RC5] [ON TOPIC] Cedric's connection problem

Cedric Tefft cedric at earthling.net
Sat Jan 3 13:50:53 EST 1998

steven at heimann.com.au wrote:

> Cedric
>
> As I mentioned earlier I also had this problem and worked around it by
> setting up a personal proxy on the same machine as our proxy server
> (seperate to the firewall).  This has saved any manual copying of
> buffer
> files.

I don't own the HTTP proxy and/or firewall, nor is there any way in
hades I'll ever get access to it.  Though I think it's a myth that I'd
get shot if I approached that building without authorization I do
believe one needs some sort of government security clearance to work
there.  It's a very security conscious company and needless to say, I am
but a lowly peon in the grand scheme of things.  Afraid that's not an
option for me.

> When trying to set up our clients according to the "manual" I found
> our
> proxy server would send data to the nominated keyserver but could not
> get a
> response. I also tried someones suggestion of pointing the client at a
> particular keyserver rather than a round-robin without success.   I
> suspect
> the problem is either in the clients handling of the http conversion
> or in
> the way the keyservers are responding.
>
> What proxy server/firewall do you run?

I'm not in charge of our corporate firewall, but when I play
authentication games with it, I can occasionally get it to admit it's
Netscape proxy server.

> Is my workaround feasible in your case?

Nope.  See above.

- Cedric

*      Cedric Tefft: Proto-Human, Reluctant Programmer     *
*            email: cedric at earthling.net                   *
* PGP FingerPrint: E114-CA05-E498-8A88-0762-79BB-A117-C59B *
To unsubcribe, send 'unsubscribe rc5' to majordomo at llamas.net