[RC5] [ON TOPIC] Cedric's connection problem

steven at heimann.com.au steven at heimann.com.au
Sun Jan 4 20:56:40 EST 1998

>Date: Sat, 3 Jan 1998 09:28:30 -0500
>From: Greg Wooledge <wooledge at kellnet.com>
<snip>

>Actually, you might want to consider that perhaps it's your firewall.
<snip>

I don't think it is the firewall.  I am the administrator of our system and
having the same problem as Cedric tried temporarily setting the firewall to
pass all packets.  Packets were passed by the HTTP proxy to the keyserver
but nothing returned.

>Also, with the HTTP proxy, make sure you plug in the IP address
>of one of the keyservers, rather than relying on the round-robin
>rc5proxy.distributed.net alias.  This seems to clear up many problems
>when using the HTTP proxy.

I also tried this without sucess.  Our proxy reports (from memory) a couple
of hundred bytes sent to the keyserver and 0 bytes returned.  I'm no TCP/IP
expert but I suspect it is something to do with either packet
identification not matching that sent by the HTTP proxy or slightly unusual
HTTP formatting not recognised by the proxy. (Cedric thinks he is running a
Netscape HTTP proxy, we are running WinProxy.)

regards
Steven

To unsubcribe, send 'unsubscribe rc5' to majordomo at llamas.net