[RC5] [ON TOPIC] Cedric's connection problem

Colin L. Hildinger colin at ionet.net
Sun Jan 4 13:44:34 EST 1998

OK, I sent this privately to Cedric but I think after reading this I'll
post it to everyone.  I THINK I recall that someone on our team list
had a similar problem and his solution was to set up a pproxy at home
that he could set up to listen on whatever port he wanted.  He was able
to pick something that went went through his firewall and he was up and
running.

On Sun, 4 Jan 1998 20:56:40 +1000, steven at heimann.com.au wrote:
>>Date: Sat, 3 Jan 1998 09:28:30 -0500
>>From: Greg Wooledge <wooledge at kellnet.com>
><snip>
>
>>Actually, you might want to consider that perhaps it's your firewall.
><snip>
>
>I don't think it is the firewall.  I am the administrator of our system and
>having the same problem as Cedric tried temporarily setting the firewall to
>pass all packets.  Packets were passed by the HTTP proxy to the keyserver
>but nothing returned.
>
>>Also, with the HTTP proxy, make sure you plug in the IP address
>>of one of the keyservers, rather than relying on the round-robin
>>rc5proxy.distributed.net alias.  This seems to clear up many problems
>>when using the HTTP proxy.
>
>I also tried this without sucess.  Our proxy reports (from memory) a couple
>of hundred bytes sent to the keyserver and 0 bytes returned.  I'm no TCP/IP
>expert but I suspect it is something to do with either packet
>identification not matching that sent by the HTTP proxy or slightly unusual
>HTTP formatting not recognised by the proxy. (Cedric thinks he is running a
>Netscape HTTP proxy, we are running WinProxy.)

Colin L. Hildinger

CRACK 64-bit RC5 WITH OS/2 NOW!
http://www.ionet.net/~colin/rc5.html

To unsubcribe, send 'unsubscribe rc5' to majordomo at llamas.net