[RC5] DES 2 (in preparation of)

Colin L. Hildinger colin at ionet.net
Mon Jan 5 19:51:09 EST 1998

On Mon, 05 Jan 1998 11:48:00 -0500, Christopher Hodson (Consultant)
wrote:

>Ronald Van Iwaarden wrote:
>>
>> I would bet we would need larger blocks since 64 bit sparcs and SGI's would
>> just rip through a block.  I think they were going through a 2^30 size block
>> in a matter of a couple of minutes...
>>
>I would suggest smaller blocks.  The faster client would simply need to
>download more blocks, but if you are running a slower client, it would
>be nice if it could report blocks in a timely manner.  That is, if a
>286(or Mac SE, etc.) gets a hold of the winning key, we don't want it
>holding on to the block for a week.

Smaller blocks vastly increase server load.  If you went from 28-bit
blocks to 26-bit blocks you increase the # by 4.  Just ask the guys at
Cyberian who had 24-bit blocks or something, ACK!

Colin L. Hildinger

CRACK 64-bit RC5 WITH OS/2 NOW!
http://www.ionet.net/~colin/rc5.html

To unsubcribe, send 'unsubscribe rc5' to majordomo at llamas.net