[RC5] Reply-to (was: State of the distributed.net Address: Week of 12-28-97)

Colin L. Hildinger colin at ionet.net
Mon Jan 5 19:57:59 EST 1998

On Mon, 05 Jan 1998 13:15:10 +0100, Jo Hermans wrote:

>hile we're on the subject, can we change the reply-to on this list to the
>original sender ? Then all replies go to the correct sender, and we're all
>saved from the meaningless chatting ...

I've seen this suggested a few times but it's really not a good idea.
The best idea is for people to learn to use their email programs (no
offense intended, Jo).  Every list I've ever been on is set to have the
list as the reply-to address.  Why?  It's simple: the list is generally
considered the place where replies to the message should.  It's a
_discussion_ list so you are expected to discuss.  Occasionally you
have a private reply to someone and you send it to them.  I haven't
been paying attention to the people who keep requesting this feature,
maybe Windows Eudora Pro Version 3.0 (32) handles things different from
my mailer which askes who I intend to mail it to each time reply-to and
from are different.  If so then I'd say it's your mailers fault for
"poor usability."

Colin L. Hildinger

CRACK 64-bit RC5 WITH OS/2 NOW!
http://www.ionet.net/~colin/rc5.html