[RC5] how about self extracting clients?

James Mastros root at jennifer-unix.dyn.ml.org
Mon Jan 5 23:57:32 EST 1998

On Mon, 5 Jan 1998, Lord Somnolent wrote:
> SASAKI Taroh wrote:
[...]
> >         For very very usual netter (not hacker), how about make
> >         the client distribution self-extracting style?  Also
> >         the default install directory (i.e.  c:\Program Files\rc5\
> >         for Win95) already specified would be better.
>
> And for each person who might benefit from this there are several
> opposed to it. Right now each user has complete control over their
> client installation
Nobody said that they shouldn't.  He said to "make the client distribution
self-extracting style".  He didn't say that it should install without asking
the user where it should go (I hit the cancel button on such installs,
normally).

> , and if they need to uninstall it or otherwise do
> something to it, they can because they were involved in the install
> process.
So why not have a nice uninstaller?  It would be pitifuly simple - remove
one registry entry (on all win32 versions), and delete the contents of the
rc5 directory.  We would need to tell the user to manually delete the
uninstall program: win32 won't let you delete a running program.

> If you let a self-installing executable do the work, it leaves
> some questions to be answered if it needs to be uninstalled: did this
> thing leave files in other directories? What will be affected if this
> program gets removed?
Nothing, smame as now.

> Grant you, many self-extracting EXEs provide for uninstall in some way.
> But often times those uninstalls still leave files around. Also many
> programs don't offer uninstall at all.
So ours will.  Many non-self extractors are porly written too.

> Many times I wished for just a single .ZIP file and installation
> instructions instead of an install program because it provides better
> system maintenance, and the .ZIP is smaller than the .EXE, meaning less
> transfer times.
So you still offer the .zip, and you make the sfx complient with the zip
file specification.  WinZip's and pkzip's sfx maker will both do that (and I'm
shure if sombody asked really nice, we (DCTI) could get a free liscence).

	-=- James Mastros
--
  K: A person is smart; people are dumb, panicky animals and you know it.
     Fifteen hundred years ago, everybody knew that the Earth was the center

	-=- Men In Black (1997, Paramount)

To unsubcribe, send 'unsubscribe rc5' to majordomo at llamas.net