[RC5] Client performance under OpenVMS

David Sowder davids at cosmic.swau.edu
Tue Jan 6 09:39:40 EST 1998

On Tue, 6 Jan 1998, Jo Holvoet wrote:
> Happy New Year everyone,
>
> I recently installed a 2.6403 client on the following
> machine :
>
> AlphaServer 1000A 5/333 MHz
> OpenVMS 7.1
> 128 Mb of RAM
>
> Even at the best of times, I'm only checking something
> like 215000 keys/sec while my Pentium 166/32 Mb can reach
> 225000 keys/sec.
>
> Is this normal or can I push some buttons and fiddle with
> some knobs to improve the performance of the Alpha ?
>
> BTW, even though I'm the "administrator" of the machine
> my knowledge of OpenVMS is rather superficial ...

Have you tested to make sure that you are running the client most
optimized for your processor?  There are only EV4 and EV5 optimizations,
so there are only two clients to compare benchmarks between.

--
David R. Sowder                          Primary Address:  sowderd at swau.edu
Network Manager/Lead Technician          HyperNet Related:  davids at hpnc.com

To unsubcribe, send 'unsubscribe rc5' to majordomo at llamas.net