[RC5] Client performance under OpenVMS

Seth Dillingham seth at snet.net
Tue Jan 6 10:47:07 EST 1998

Jo Holvoet (Jo.Holvoet at barclab.com), on 1/6/98 10:59 AM, wrote the
following:

>I recently installed a 2.6403 client on the following
>machine :
>
>AlphaServer 1000A 5/333 MHz
>OpenVMS 7.1
>128 Mb of RAM
>
>Even at the best of times, I'm only checking something
>like 215000 keys/sec while my Pentium 166/32 Mb can reach
>225000 keys/sec.
>
>Is this normal or can I push some buttons and fiddle with
>some knobs to improve the performance of the Alpha ?

The simple answer is that YES, this is normal.

Your main cause for concernt appears to be that the Pentium is running
more keys than the Alpha. The alpha doesn't have the instructions on the
chip that are needed for the client to run at it's fastest possible
speed, and the Pentiums and PowerPC's do.

So, as I said, this is normal.

However, watch what happens with your speeds when we switch to DES. I
think your alpha will do *just fine* in that contest. (read: I'm
understating the facts, here.)

Seth
To unsubcribe, send 'unsubscribe rc5' to majordomo at llamas.net