[RC5] State of distributed.net

maverick maverick at null.net
Tue Jan 6 17:26:38 EST 1998

At 10:19 PM 1/5/98 -0600, Nugget wrote:

>The ultimate goal is to build an entirely stand-alone machine to house
>the stats.  Obviously there are many components we lack.  Currently,
>there's a need for:
>
>   * A motherboard and CPU
>   * A case and power supply
>   * a PCI video adapter
>   * a PCI network adapter (10/100)

Just out of curiosity, what is the current setup?  Is is so slow that a new
motherboard and processor are needed to make it a sufficient stats machine?
 Also, what is a PCI video card needed for?  I'm sure it would be nice if
someone would donate one, but it isn't really a 'need' for the stats server
is it?

>Amazon.com:  $ 189.27 - http://www.distributed.net/research/
>eyegive.com: $ 742.07 - http://www.eyegive.com/html/ssi.cfm?CID=1098
>Keep up the good work!

I must have missed it...where is all of this money going?