[RC5] DES 2 (in preparation of)

Colin L. Hildinger colin at ionet.net
Wed Jan 7 06:47:17 EST 1998

On Wed, 7 Jan 1998 00:53:28 -0800 (PST), Mary Conner wrote:

>> BTW, is the buffer really searched in LIFO order? Then there could be
>> the problem of some blocks being buried by other blocks for a long
>> time on some machines. For example I have a buffer of 80 blocks at
>> home, my DX4 does about 30 a day and these 30 are normally flushed
>> daily. Even when I don't flush for some reason, I have 'fuel' for
>> another 1.5 days, so it happens very seldom that the complete buffer
>> is exhausted.
>
>The clients are indeed LIFO.  The lesson here is to not run with an
>out-buffer smaller than your in-buffer, and if you manually flush
>the client, let it exhaust the buffer occasionally.

Another thing to remember about DES blocks getting "buried."  If the
block hasn't been returned when all the blocks have been distributed,
the servers will start redistributing them.  So if you have blocks from
November, *statistically* it doesn't matter a hill of beans because
they have the same odds of having the key as any new blocks.  Of
course, it would be a bummer to have the key sit on someone's hardrive
for 6 months, but it's really not statistically anything to worry
about.  I do think it would be nice if the buffers for version 3 and up
were FIFO, but that might make it really hard to deal with sharing the
file between client versions...

Colin L. Hildinger

CRACK 64-bit RC5 WITH OS/2 NOW!
http://www.ionet.net/~colin/rc5.html