[RC5] Re: Reply to: Changed

Sanford Olson sanford at msn.fullfeed.com
Wed Jan 7 13:06:00 EST 1998

At 12:24 PM 1/7/98 -0500, you wrote:
>On Wed, 07 Jan 98 12:09:06 -0500, Skip Huffman wrote:
>
>>On 07 Jan 98 17:23:07 +0100, Rask Ingemann Lambertsen wrote:
>>
>>>So set up your mail reader to deal with it.
>>
>>Possible, but difficult as "RC5 at LLAMAS.NET" is not referenced anywhere
>>in the header.

>>>                                            ^^^^^
>>>
>>>You're not serious about that, are you?
>>
>>Yes, that way rc5 at llamas.net is referenced in the header.  If I get a
>>message that is "From:" you, and "Reply To:" you, how am I to know that
>>it came from the RC5 mailing list?  The fact that it came from a
>>mailing list, and which mailing list, needs to be clearly noted in the
>>header.  The common way to do this is "Reply-To:".
>
>	Not only that, it completely destroyed my filters to
>move rc5-list messages to their own folder.
>
>	Putting both the From: and the ReplyTo: as the sender
>rather than the list address has got to be one of the STUPIDEST
>things I've ever seen done to a list.
>
>	Hey, if you don't LIKE what comes through on the list,
>either press ENTER or unsubscribe!

Actually, from the messages I've seen in the last couple days, the From:
and ReplyTo: are not set at all by the list.  They are the passed through
of the original message (i.e. whatever the user's mail client has for From:
and ReplyTo: settings).  (Some messages don't have any ReplyTo:)

I don't really like the new way, but I definitely understand the desire to
reduce message volume (I get upwards to 100 messages at a time over a 28.8K
dialup from a *very* pokey POP server - it takes upwards to 10 minutes to
retrieve)

- Sanford
To unsubcribe, send 'unsubscribe rc5' to majordomo at llamas.net