[RC5] DES 2 (in preparation of)

Mary Conner trif at serv.net
Wed Jan 7 22:33:28 EST 1998

On Wed, 7 Jan 1998, Colin L. Hildinger wrote:
> Well, the keyspace is so large that by the time they start
> redistributing the 0x64 blocks the number that will be out there will
> be very tiny to say the least.  I mean, it's almost all distributed now
> I'd wager, but how long before they start re-sending?  They might as
> well keep distributing only new keyblocks until they've all been
> distributed once.  At that point the 0x64 ones would have been
> distributed years in the past.

Er, no, that's not what is going to happen.  Compute the space to
hold the databases for 2^36 keyblocks.  The 0x64 subspace is held
in two 32MB databases, and for speed's sake, it's best if those
can be held in memory.  There's no way they can do this with the
entire keyspace.  For efficiency's sake, they want to put the 0x64
keyspace to bed, and have it completely done so that it can all
be put out on mass off-line storage.

Trif
Official Ceiling Fan Spinner
Official dbaker Irritant