[RC5] DES 2 (in preparation of)

Charles W. Hubbard chubbard at owt.com
Thu Jan 8 18:18:14 EST 1998

>> I've heard that with rc5/64, when the 0x64
>> keyspace is exhausted, once return of 0x64 blocks trickles off, those
>> that have not been returned will be reissued in order to close out >>the keyspace.

> That is new information to me.  Everything that I have heard indicates
> that the entire keyspace will be exhausted before blocks are reissued.
> Still, the number of blocks that would be reworked is minimal.

For what it's worth, I've been interested in this particular point so
I've done quite a bit of asking on IRC about the subject and I've been
told the same thing that Mary reports.  Namely, keys will be recycled at
the end of the current 56-bit keysubspace.  The advantage is once a
subspace has been completely cleared it is no longer necessary to track
it.  I know you don't always get the most reliable information of the
IRC channel but I've asked repeatedly and got the above scenario from
people that, to me at least, seem to know what they are talking about.

Regards,

Charlie Hubbard
To unsubcribe, send 'unsubscribe rc5' to majordomo at llamas.net