[RC5] DES 2 (in preparation of)

Marc Sissom msissom at dnaent.com
Fri Jan 9 11:33:20 EST 1998

Colin L. Hildinger wrote:

> Yeah, well, I certainly understand your point here.  I do think that
> putting a little more delay in between redistributing space will make
> it more likely to not happen.  Possibly there's a way to make the
> client deal with it?  FIFO would be one way but I think that would
> cause problems with people using it on a shared network directory
> since
> it would no longer just be a stack.  If it was FIFO then new blocks
> would have to be added at the beginning of the buff-out file or blocks
> for checking would have to be taken from the beginning.  I could see
> this causing problems if there were many clients sharing it and it was
> updating from the servers, etc.

Huh? Colin, I know the easy way to to make a FIFO. It's called
a named pipe. I know that os/2 supports this and of course *nix.
I imagine that the original coders overlooked this solution
because of their M$ background. Whether win16/32 supports these
contructs is unknown. I doubt it since elementary things like
network support, sockets, and so on have been tacked on over time.

There are actually several ways to solve this problem in code
and for the life of me I don't know why it hasn't been done.
I guess that it's just not considered to be that big of a problem.
If the inner circle decides that it is a big enough problem,
then they'll come up with a solution. The solution will probably
include instructions to delete your old buffer files before
installing the new client, and these instructions will be posted
here or included with client _after_ someone howls on irc about
how the client is crashing.

Meanwhile, I'd suggest that you follow their lead and ignore it.
Honestly, those in charge don't consider it a problem, why should
we?

--
Marc Sissom                       http://www.dnaent.com
Design Engineer                     voice: 972/644-3301
To unsubcribe, send 'unsubscribe rc5' to majordomo at llamas.net