[RC5] Comments on the change of repply to:

Richard Freeman rfreeman at netaxs.com
Fri Jan 9 13:50:45 EST 1998

On Fri, 9 Jan 1998 gindrup at okway.okstate.edu wrote:

>      Those people who claimed the change would increase the S?N ratio are
>      sadly mistaken.  The noise is still here, the signal comes with noisy
>      disclaimers, most of the signal isn't even being posted to the list,
>      and list participation in any form is now more difficult.
>             -- Eric Gindrup ! gindrup at Okway.okstate.edu

I really hate to post this - I've been refraining simply because I do not
want to add to the clutter...  To be honest, if you type out a nice email
with lots of contribution, it isn't that hard to go ahead and type in
"rc5 at llamas.net".  On the other hand, if you type out whining and
complaining, your mind might not be in the rational state that it needs to
be in to remember the proper address...  I do agree that the S/N has gone
down as a result of the change, but I think that after people get tired of
running their mouths it will go back up again...  If a quick short-term
solution to the S/N problem is very important, I'm sure that the listserv
software can be setup to exclude certain-people from posting during the
next week so that they will have time to cool-down...  I am not advocating
censorship or anything like that, but to be honest, what newspaper prints
every letter that it gets?  If it did, nobody would bother to read them
anyway...  I would be all for moderating this list - maybe with the
moderator being reasonably lax about approving posts, but deleting things
that get too far out-of-hand...  Of course, I wouldn't want to be the
person who actually has to read everything posted to this list...  I think
that the current header solution is perfectly fine.

On an aside, I think that personal copies of replies is a good idea (Ie
using the reply to all feature) - that way you can quickly see followups
to your own IDEAS (not drivel) without having to wade through the list.
Of course if you post 50 pointless messages each day and expect 5
pointless replies to each of these, then I can see why you might not like
this...

Finally, I don't mean this as a personal attack on Gindrup - I don't agree
with everything that he posts, but he is on topic quite a bit, and quite
capable of being reasonable... I've seen others that are probably much
worse - they might not post as much, but what they do post is usually
pretty worthless...  So, Eric, any chance of maybe getting over this upset
and letting things cool down a bit?  How about we all think about the
changes for a day or two before posting again...  I know that I've been
off-topic in the past, sometimes badyly so - others have pointed it out,
and I've learned my lesson (perhaps not well-enough - I am writing this
after all).

In any case, I just want to appeal to the moderate sides of people's
natures (I know that they aren't usually very large, but I think that most
people have a sliver of them)...  If you have a complaint to this, feel
free to email me with it (I trust that nobody is childish enough to
mailbomb me or anything like that).  If there seems to be a majority
opinion of any sort, I'll summarize and post it.  I'm not asking you to
trust me over the matter, but simply to think about whether or not
everybody on this list is really interested in what you have to say...  I
think that in this case, enough people are to justify this posting.  I
sincerely apologize to those who would rather not read this...

Richard T. Freeman <rfreeman at netaxs.com> - finger for pgp key
3D CB AF BD FF E8 0B 10 4E 09 27 00 8D 27 E1 93
http://www.netaxs.com/~rfreeman - ftp.netaxs.com/people/rfreeman

To unsubcribe, send 'unsubscribe rc5' to majordomo at llamas.net