[RC5] New stats script

Tom Marshall tommym at owt.com
Sun Jan 11 13:15:13 EST 1998

I have a beta version of my new stats script up and running.  I will
post it no later than 12 Jan 0800 GMT (midnight today in my timezone).

The new script has the following enhancements:
  - Config file is used instead of editing the script
  - Works with any logfile naming convention
  - Translates dynamic IP's (ie, pm1-s1.isp.com -> dynamic.isp.com)
  - Automatically GZIPs past logs (about 10:1 compression)
  - Keeps a stats database so logs may be moved off the server
  - Caches nameserver lookups for reduced network traffic
  - Host page is organized by email address for easier browsing
  - Unknown OS or CPU is reported as unknown instead of a blank

Those that have had trouble with logfile sizes in the past will be glad
to know that the stats database is very compact.  Our team generates
about 1MB of logs per day and our database is only about 160k.

Due to the database and the nameserver caching, the running time for
each update should be literally hundreds of times faster than before.

There's more, I'm sure but that's all I can think of right now.  I'll be
continuing to add functionality, of course.

Tommy

To unsubcribe, send 'unsubscribe rc5' to majordomo at lists.distributed.net