[RC5] Disappearing blocks + performance problem

Edwin Hendrickx edwin.hendrickx at ficsgrp.com
Tue Jan 13 18:08:32 EST 1998

(a previous version of this mail was probably in HTML, just ignore that
one)

Hi,

I'm running a client on a Dell Optiplex 575 (Pentium 75 - 32MB) running
Windows NT4.0 SP 3.
Benchmarking (CPU = Pentium) gives me a keyrate of 101kkeys/s.
Running the client (v2.6403.315) with the '-runbuffers' (no internet
access) shows that after 4 hours some 50 % of a block
has been done i.e. it is crawling.
However, taskmanager shows that rc564gui.exe is taking about 95% of
CPU-time.

The same client (running hidden and with internet access through
http/uuencode) on an identical machine (hardware,
OS = NT4.0 - service pack *1*) gives the expected performance
(i.e. 100 kkeys/s)

So either SP3 or the -runbuffers option seem to cause the difference.
Any suggestions? Any known problems I may not be aware of ?
(I'm running -runbuffers at home without performance problems on a 486)

Since I've trying several options, restarting and stopping the client in
several ways,
I noticed that the number of blocks reported as being in the
buff-inn.rc5 file decreases
by 2 every time. I started out with 50 blocks in the buff-in.rc5 and now
I only have 32.
The buff-out contains the grand total of 0 blocks.

I realize this is not top priority with DES II just starting, but 100
kkeys/s vs 3 kkeys/s seems such a waste.
I would appreciate a reply to my email address, as well as to the list.
( :) )

TIA

Edwin

--
Edwin Hendrickx                 Tel.  : +32 2 71.44.434
FICS Group                      Fax   : +32 2 71.44.224
Excelsiorlaan 87                Email : edwin.hendrickx at ficsgrp.com
1930 Zaventem (Belgium)

To unsubcribe, send 'unsubscribe rc5' to majordomo at lists.distributed.net