[RC5] DES Clients out! Upgrade! Contest Starting!

Seth Dillingham seth at snet.net
Tue Jan 13 19:42:06 EST 1998

> On Tue, 13 Jan 1998, Alexander Li Cohen wrote:
> > > Alright, the RC5/DES clients are out. First, get on your old rc5 clients
> > > and FLUSH all your buffers. Then, delete the old buffers and clients.
> >
> > What about those of us with pretty big 500+  in-buffers?  Won't they just
> > disappear?
>
> Ignore them.  Keep your buff-in -- you can resume work on it after DES II,
> and you will work on it if you can't get any DES II blocks.  (Not certian
> on that last one).

I don't think ignoring them is such a good idea.

The old buffers are in an old format, and won't ever be used again by any
newer clients. It's no loss to throw out those buffers... they're no more
likely to contain the magic key than any blocks you might download to
replace them.

The *ONLY* way you could use those buffers again is to keep the old
clients, but there's no guarantee that the next versions of the proxies
will support the old client formats.

Just throw them out, they don't matter. They're not needed.

Seth
To unsubcribe, send 'unsubscribe rc5' to majordomo at lists.distributed.net