[RC5] DES II on Dual Processor

Peter A. DeNitto denitto at llamas.net
Tue Jan 13 18:36:03 EST 1998

On Tue, 13 Jan 1998, Dysart, Derek wrote:

> I am running the new client on a dual PPro 200, and it seems to start
> two threads correctly, but it always seems to force one thread to work
> on RC5, and the other to work on DES.  Is this correct behavior?  I have
> set the numcpu setting to 2 in rc5desrv.ini (I am running the NT
> service).  The remainder of the file looks like:

Ok, this one's an easy one too...
(and I hope it gets put in the FAQ soon, cuz someone forgot to add this to
the README..txt file)

DES is not Multi-thread safe on a x86 cpu.

Therefore, it only runs one thread of DES.  If you put in 2cpu's, it runs
the one thread of DES, then since it can't run a 2nd thread of DES because
it's liable to crash your machine, it runs a thread of RC5.

If you want to run DES on both cpus, you'll have to run 2 seperate
clients for now.

--pete

The cows are tromping all over America. Cows can replicate.They're
being born all over the world. There's plenty of beef available!
		-- US Representative Zoe Lofgren (D-Ca)

To unsubcribe, send 'unsubscribe rc5' to majordomo at lists.distributed.net