[RC5] Symptoms: Doing both RC5 and DES

Colin L. Hildinger colin at ionet.net
Tue Jan 13 19:22:34 EST 1998

This is because the client is set to *prefer* DES, but not do it
exclusively.  IOW, if it can't get DES blocks and can get RC5 blocks,
it will do RC5.  I don't think (but don't know for sure, so this is
unconfirmed) that the current build can do random DES blocks.
Obviously it would have to know what the contest was to do that and
that info is being passed from the server, so I KNOW that it can't if
it's never downloaded a DES block.  Whether it can do it if it has
downloaded DES blocks is another matter about which I'm not sure, but I
only see 1 "randomprefix" entry in the .ini file...

On Tue, 13 Jan 1998 17:34:28 -0600, Brent J. Nordquist wrote:

>I noticed a pattern when I installed around 25 Windows NT machines,
>and I thought I'd share it (I know this touches on issues that several
>people have reported, but I think this is more specific data).
>
>Background:  I removed all *.rc5 files before installing and starting
>rc5desrv.exe for the first time.
>
>Two machines couldn't get through on the first try to get DES
>blocks.  Those systems pulled down 200 RC5 blocks (creating new
>*.rc5 files) and went to work on them.  After 1-3 blocks were
>completed, they got through to load the *.des files with blocks, and
>then started to work on DES.  This may give the impression that
>the client is working on both contests, but for me, once those two
>machines buffered up DES blocks, they never went back.

Colin L. Hildinger

CRACK 64-bit RC5 WITH OS/2 NOW!
http://www.ionet.net/~colin/rc5.html

To unsubcribe, send 'unsubscribe rc5' to majordomo at lists.distributed.net