[RC5] DOS client crashes

Travis Siegel tsiegel at softcon.com
Wed Jan 14 06:56:24 EST 1998

On Tue, 13 Jan 1998, Greg Wooledge wrote:

> I'm trying to run the DOS RC5/DES client on an IBM PS/2 Model 35 SX.
> (This system has about 4 MB RAM -- impressive!)  Whenever I start it up
> with a buffer "full" of blocks, it crashes.

I don't remember, what cpu speed is the mod 35?  I'm running the dos
client on a ps/2 mod 70 w/4MB of ram, and it's working just fine.  I'm
also running the dos client on a 386-sx 16 w/2MB of ram, and although it's
dog slow, it does work fine there as well.  Of course the dos client on my
main personal machine works even faster than my linux version.  Of course
both are running 486-sx 66 cpus, and my guess is that the dos client isn't
handling telnet/rlogin requests, running 3-5 muds, and handling a fairly
regular stream of emails as well.  Perhaps that could account for the 50%
speed increase I'm seeing from my dos client over the linux one? :)

To unsubcribe, send 'unsubscribe rc5' to majordomo at lists.distributed.net