[RC5] RE:

Cedric Tefft cedric at earthling.net
Tue Jan 13 23:46:11 EST 1998

lunaslide wrote:
> On the other end of the spectrum, my Win 95 client in running
> frightfully
> slow.  It hasn't even finished a block in the hour I've been sitting
> here.
> I set the priority to 2, killed the screen saver and neither made a
> difference.  Any comment on this?

I'm in the same boat as you on this one.  My DX2/66 has been cranking on
the same block for over four hours now (about 60% complete --
supposedly).  I was wondering if it might have to do with the block size
being set to the default (30), so I set my in-buffer aside and had the
client fetch a couple of 28-bit blocks.  Trouble is, I can't tell what
the block size really is from the block's ID.  Anybody know how to tell
(by inspection) what the size of any given DES block is?

By my VERY rough estimates, you should be able to process DES keys about
four times as fast as RC5 keys.  There are 2^28 keys in an RC5 block, so
a single 2^30 DES block should be processed in about the same time
(since it has four times the number of keys to process).  I'll be the
first to admit I'm overlooking something here, but it seems to me that
the client running under 95 is much slower than it should be.

- Cedric

*      Cedric Tefft: Proto-Human, Reluctant Programmer     *
*            email: cedric at earthling.net                   *
* PGP FingerPrint: E114-CA05-E498-8A88-0762-79BB-A117-C59B *

To unsubcribe, send 'unsubscribe rc5' to majordomo at lists.distributed.net