[RC5] Using a machine not connected to the Internet

Travis Siegel tsiegel at softcon.com
Wed Jan 14 14:47:08 EST 1998

On Wed, 14 Jan 1998, Scott Mohnkern wrote:

> I've got several (2-3) computers here in the office that don't have
> modems,
> and aren't connected to the net.
>
> What I'm wondering is whether or not it might be possible to somehow get
> these machines working on the project without being net connected.

Yup, you sure can.  Just grab the clients for whatever os they're running,
set them up, and then do just as I do for my dos client machines.  I run a
client on my linux box which is connected to the net, it fetches the
blocks, I download the buff-in files, put them on each dos machine (one
for each machine of course) then when they're finished, I u/l the buff-out
files back to the linux machine, run the client there again to submit
these and retrieve more.  I've been doing this since the dos clients were
available, and it works just fine.  I have the client that actually
handles my dos client blocks in a separate dir from the one that is always
running on the linux host to avoid problems with fetching/flushing blocks
that are in use.

To unsubcribe, send 'unsubscribe rc5' to majordomo at lists.distributed.net