[RC5] Performance problem on NT4.0

Ryan Curtis orion at baker.cnw.com
Wed Jan 14 11:19:31 EST 1998

>Wesley Felter wrote:
>
>>This is the way the GUI RC5 client worked on my NT machine, and the new
>>RC5DES CLI client works the same way: while the screensaver is up, NO
>>keys are checked. I think screensavers should be designed not to be
>>CPU-bound while they're running [...]
>
>I found that switching to the "Blank Screen" screensaver stopped my
>key-rate from dropping; cleary this screensaver doesn't use the CPU very
>heavily. :)
>
>(I also find it less distracting; my screensaver often kicks in while
>I'm working on paper.)

I think the best choice for a screensaver is the "RC5_log_screensaver"
found at
ftp://ftp.distributed.net/pub/rc5-64/unsupported/rc5_log_screensaver.zip

It shows the last x lines of your log file, updated every minute
(configurable) so you can check that things are working fine, but it
doens't use the CPU much.  I switched back to this one after noticing the
drop in performance of the NT service.

Ryan Curtis
orion at cnw.com

To unsubcribe, send 'unsubscribe rc5' to majordomo at lists.distributed.net