[RC5] run rc564 and rc5des?

gindrup at okway.okstate.edu gindrup at okway.okstate.edu
Wed Jan 14 16:43:27 EST 1998

     The following statements are true, AFAIK:
     1) The new pproxies and proxies will still handle old-style RC5
block
     reporting (and apparently requests for new blocks).
     2) Do not mix buff files and clients from pre-v2.7 and post-v2.7.
If
     the buff is pre-v2.7, the so should the client be and similarly for
     post-v2.7.
     3) There is mothing in any client that will prevent another client
     from running simultaneously (on most lpatforms :).
     4) Running two clients reduces the speed of both.

     It may be better, if one is concerned about blocks in the buff-in
     files to wait until after DES-II to clean them up using an old
client.
      DES-II is a speed game and thus reducing the efficiency of the
DES-II
     clients is not a good thing.

     I'm intending to just store the buff-in files until after DES-II
     completes (as soon as I have clients to run DES-II with) and then
run
     older clients in parallel (with the v2.7 rc5 clients) to finish out
     the old buff-in.rc5 files.  Then blow aweay the old buffs and the
old
     clients.
            -- Eric Gindrup ! gindrup at okway.okstate.edu