[RC5] Using a machine not connected to the Internet

gindrup at okway.okstate.edu gindrup at okway.okstate.edu
Wed Jan 14 16:35:13 EST 1998

     Yes.  Do exactly what you said.  Here's what I'm doing for my army
of
     386sx/16 machines:
     For each machine, I have a boot floppy that contains the client and
     the (important) buff-in and -out files.  About every three weeks (it
     takes a while to get through 50 blocks) I iterate through the set of
     diskettes where:
     1) Physically move the diskett into a FD of a machine with a network
     connection.
     2) Copy the Buff files to a "holding" directory on this machine.
     3) Run the copy of the GUIWIN16 client (which doesn't exist for
     DES-II, last I looked -- hint, hint) telling it to flush.
     4) Terminate the client (twice, but I think this bug was fixed).
     5) Run it again to fetch more keys.
     6) Copy the buff files back to the floppy from the "holding"
     directory.
     7) Put the floppy back in the 386sx/16 machine's FD (and press
"r"etry
     since I've been too lazy to turn off the checkpoint writing and
     file-based termination checking).

     You'd probably want to do something similar.  I'd suggest making
     little batch files on the disks to
     1) extract the buff files from the locations you pick on the
     non-networked machines,
     2) push them onto the networked machine,
     3) extract them back, and
     4) push them onto the non-networked machines.

     If you choose to use one of the CLI clients instead of one of the
GUI
     clients to do the fetch/flush, then you can put the #2 and #3 batch
     files together with calls to the CLI client to flush and fetch more
     blocks.  Thi would look something like:
        copy a:\buff*.* c:\holding
        cd c:\holding
        rc5des -flush
        rc5des -fetch
        copy c:\holding\buff*.* a:

     I apologize if some of this seems elementary, but there are probably
     list readers of all degrees of technical background who might like
     know this.