[RC5] DES II on Dual Processor

Remi Guyomarch rguyom at mail.dotcom.fr
Wed Jan 14 00:15:26 EST 1998

Dysart, Derek wrote:

> I am running the new client on a dual PPro 200, and it seems to start
> two threads correctly, but it always seems to force one thread to work
> on RC5, and the other to work on DES.  Is this correct behavior?
[...]

Yes. We are using BrydDES code and it's not multithread safe. So when
there is more than one cpu available we launch DES on one of them, and
the others will run for RC5-64.
We are looking for a solution, but in the meantime you can launch two or
more instances of the client, setting numcpu to 1 in your .ini file or
using -numcpu 1 command-line option.
Note that multithread clients will still be faster, since they will
allow you to fetch and send blocks to/from servers while you're
cracking.
Another note : don't run multiple instances of the client using the same
checkpoint file ! Multiple clients with same buffer files are ok.

--
RÈmi		Don't waste your computer's time. Distribute it!
			http://www.distributed.net/

To unsubcribe, send 'unsubscribe rc5' to majordomo at lists.distributed.net