[RC5] Minor bug with rc5des client (linux)

James Mastros root at jennifer-unix.dyn.ml.org
Wed Jan 14 20:37:31 EST 1998

On Tue, 13 Jan 1998, Tim Charron wrote:
> > It appears that if the network is unavaible and buff-in.des is empty, then
> > the client will psudo-freeze.  (That is to say, you still get "**break**",
> > but nothing else will happen).
It would appear that this is a known design "feature" -- I didn't delete
my
buff-*.rc5.  (Even if the clients aren't backwards-compatible, they should
at least not hang on invalid buff files.) (Now that the client has fetched
successfuly, it is running fine -- I'll flush my (256 byte) buff-out.rc5,
and move my buff-in.rc5 for the time being).

> > Also, a related question: Under what
> > circumstances will the client fall-back on your non-prefered contest?  (IE
> > Will it switch cores instead of doing random blocks?)
>
> If you configure des as your preference, then...
> 	The client will attempt to download des blocks
> 	If that fails, it will download rc5 blocks.
> 	If that fails, it will generate a random rc5 block.

Random rc5 block?

> -- Tim

	-=- James Mastros

To unsubcribe, send 'unsubscribe rc5' to majordomo at lists.distributed.net