[RC5] Network errors on Alpha-Linux

Stephen Langasek vorlon at dodds.net
Wed Jan 14 23:04:42 EST 1998

On Wed, 14 Jan 1998, Keith Baker wrote:

> I get network errors on the Alpha Linux client.  I have tried everything
> in the config.  I am confused as to the nature of the error.  I watch
> the ethernet tx light and get nothing.  It never even gets to the
> network.  The speed at which it gets the error also is wierd.  It gets
> the error right when it boots.  Makes me think something is up with the
> network code.  I am running RedHat 5.0 on a Dec Alpha Universal Desktop
> Box.

One of the problems I've run into with the alpha linux client (and one I
didn't think significant enough to report right away, with the imminent
arrival of DES II) is that it will not resolve names correctly.  This is
in no way related to any proxy problems, like previous name resolution
problems seen here; the machine in question has no problem getting
anywhere it wants to go, and for that matter has a caching nameserver
running.

The temp solution I found (other reason I didn't think it worthy of
mention:) was to configure the client to an IP to connect to instead of
the name.  Has been working fine otherwise.. it's a pity to have to kill
off the rc5 client when we put it on-line as the new webserver...

                               -Steve Langasek
-doink-

To unsubcribe, send 'unsubscribe rc5' to majordomo at lists.distributed.net