[RC5] run rc564 and rc5des?

Jim C. Nasby nasby at enteract.com
Wed Jan 14 21:03:55 EST 1998

gindrup at okway.okstate.edu wrote:

> <snip>

>      If you choose to use one of the CLI clients instead of one of the
> GUI
>      clients to do the fetch/flush, then you can put the #2 and #3 batch
>      files together with calls to the CLI client to flush and fetch more
>      blocks.  Thi would look something like:
>         copy a:\buff*.* c:\holding
>         cd c:\holding
>         rc5des -flush
>         rc5des -fetch
>         copy c:\holding\buff*.* a:

Um... why move the files to the hard-drive? Just run right of the floppy.
Also, -update would replace the seperate -flush, -fetch. So...

1) Yank the floppy from the 386
2) Stick it in the networked machine
3) at the command prompt: rc5des -update
4) when it's done, move the floppy back to the 386

Also, please note that the in buffers are _LIFO_. This means that you
want to
exhaust the in-buffer every now and then, to use up the old keys. If you
have
a fast machine with access to a pproxy(or 24/7 network access), you can
set
the client on that machine for buffers of 1:1. That way the buffers will
always be empty when the client is running (assuming it can talk to the
pproxy). Instead of re-filling the 386 in buffers, you can move the
depleted
ones to a holding area, and slowly cycle them to the fast client. The
client
will polish off the in buffer, then start connecting for more blocks
again.
Alternativly, you can just let the 386's run until they start doing random
blocks every now and then.

Jim

>      I apologize if some of this seems elementary, but there are probably
>      list readers of all degrees of technical background who might like
>      know this.
>             -- Eric Gindrup ! gindrup at Okway.okstate.edu

> _________________________________
> Subject: [RC5] Using a machine not connected to the Internet
> Author:  <rc5 at llamas.net > at SMTP
> Date:    1/14/98 10:45 AM
>
> I've got several (2-3) computers here in the office that don't have
> modems,
> and aren't connected to the net.
>
> What I'm wondering is whether or not it might be possible to somehow get
> these machines working on the project without being net connected.
>

> Is there some way I can get a set of blocks using a net connected
> machine,
> copy them to a floppy, have them run the blocks, copy the files back to a
> floppy, and then put them back on the net connected machine, and have it
> upload them?
>
> ...Just doing my part....
>

> Scott Mohnkern
> mohnkern at millkern.com

*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*
-*

          /^\            Jim C. Nasby (aka Decibel!)
        /     \          nasbjim at charlie.acc.iit.edu
      /----+----\        Freelance lighting designer and database
developer
    /      |      \      Member: