[RC5] [admin] Learn from others' mistakes...

Ivo Janssen ivo at ricardis.tudelft.nl
Thu Jan 15 23:32:31 EST 1998

On Thu, 15 Jan 1998, Nathaniel Hang wrote:

> David McNett wrote:
>
> > and, upon discovery of the client believed that it had found the source
> > of the server lockups.
>
> This is utterly BS.  It's more of an excuse to the fact that the vendor
> didn't do it right when they built the system.

Yes, it IS bullshit. But that's not the problem here. When an
authority says: There's an unidentified service running here while
your computer crashed, so we void your warrant; well, then there's
nothing else to sit down and cry. Although we know it's not the
client, as Nugget pointed out 5 times in his mail.

If that vendor doesn't build his system right, but he does add some
statements in the servicecontracts about unsupported software, then
he has the right to void this service contract, poor excuse or not.

So DON'T RUN THE CLIENT ON MACHINES YOU DO NOT HAVE CLEARANCE FOR.

I myself like to add 500 Pentium166 to the contest, but my sysadmin
says better not to, with the same arguments as above.

Ivo

To unsubcribe, send 'unsubscribe rc5' to majordomo at lists.distributed.net