[RC5] AIX Code and absentminded clients?

Jeff Gilchrist jeffg at nbnet.nb.ca
Thu Jan 15 23:05:26 EST 1998

On Mon, 12 Jan 1998 21:11:12 -0500 (EST), Phil Gregory
<pgreg430 at neors.cat.cc.md.us> wrote:

> > Cant answer the second one but for the first I had shell access to an
> > Rs6000 box running AIX 3.2 for a while and grabbed the ppc client and
> > tried
> > it out and it worked. I got around 118kkeys/sec in test mode.
>
> I tried that, and it started, but immediately after it told me that there
> was no .ini file, I got "Illegal instruction (core dumped)".  When I
> borrowed an .ini file from another computer.  I just got the illegal
> instruction bit after the standard header (client version,
> distributed.net web page, etc.).

	The same thing happened to me with AIX 4.2.  It seems that the AIX
client is compiled for the PowerPC only so the older RS/6000 chips will
not
work.

	Any chance of getting a client compiled for older AIX RS/6000 boxes?

--
-= JEFF GILCHRIST =-         University of New Brunswick, Canada
E-mail: jeffg at nbnet.nb.ca          Computer Science Co-op

| For the latest copy of the ARCHIVE COMPARISON TEST (A.C.T.):   |
| WWW: http://www.geocities.com/SiliconValley/Park/4264/act.html |
| FTP: ftp.simtel.net  /pub/simtelnet/msdos/arcers/actest35.zip  |
| FINGER: s0b8 at jupiter.sun.csd.unb.ca                            |
 * PGP Key Available On Request *           PGP Key ID : 1C3A5801

To unsubcribe, send 'unsubscribe rc5' to majordomo at lists.distributed.net