[RC5] RE:

Colin L. Hildinger colin at ionet.net
Thu Jan 15 20:57:46 EST 1998

On Tue, 13 Jan 1998 23:46:11 -0600, Cedric Tefft wrote:

>By my VERY rough estimates, you should be able to process DES keys about
>four times as fast as RC5 keys.  There are 2^28 keys in an RC5 block, so
>a single 2^30 DES block should be processed in about the same time
>(since it has four times the number of keys to process).  I'll be the
>first to admit I'm overlooking something here, but it seems to me that
>the client running under 95 is much slower than it should be.

Well, DES is only about twice as fast AND the block sizes, while
technically correct, are incorrect.  The keyservers hand you a 2^30 DES
block and you process all 2^30 PLUS the 2^30 complimentary keys for a
grand total of 2^31 keys.  That means that it's 8 times larger and only
twice as fast so it takes 4 times longer.

Colin L. Hildinger

CRACK 64-bit RC5 WITH OS/2 NOW!
http://www.ionet.net/~colin/rc5.html

To unsubcribe, send 'unsubscribe rc5' to majordomo at lists.distributed.net