[RC5] Block times : an explanation

TwinTowers || rc5crack at kuala-lumpur.inet-one.com
Fri Jan 16 10:28:48 EST 1998

> Something strange in the performance difference between Pentium and PPro!
> My PPro-200 does 919Kkeys/sec, whereas my oc'ed P-180 does 856Kkeys/sec
> (extrapolated to 951Kkeys/sec at 200). Is something wrong here?
>
> Both clients use their respective optimised code, hard-coded in the
> config. The benchmark figures are closed to the accummulative rates
> reported in the log after running for more than 24 hours. Both are linux
> client v2.7002.383.
>
> TwinTowers ||

After reading another post by Remi, I guessed it's my responsibility to
reply to my own post here. Yes the problem described above is "normal".
Here is what Remi said:

Yes, with the current core Pentiums are faster than PPro. A 200 MHz
Pentium cracks ~980 kkeys/s when a 200 Mhz PPro cracks ~850 kkeys/s
(test under NT4).
We took the BrydDES core as-is, and it was optimized for the Pentium
(perhaps simply  because its author (Svend Olaf Mikkelsen) had access to
only a Pentium and not a Pentium Pro...).

(end quote)

TwinTowers ||

To unsubcribe, send 'unsubscribe rc5' to majordomo at lists.distributed.net