[RC5] Minor bug with rc5des client (linux)

Tim Charron tcharron at interlog.com
Thu Jan 15 22:31:49 EST 1998

> > An even nicer feature would be one which converts old buff-out files to
> > the new format whenever the format changes.  This could even be a
> > standalone program rather than part of the client.
> Great minds think alike -- I said almost exactly the same thing in another
> thread.
>
> > (Converting buff-in
> > files isn't strictly necessary -- discarding them is much easier and
> > the client could do that automatically as well.)

Thanks to everyone on the suggestions for buffer compatibility.  The
fact of the matter is that the original intention was to use
compatible buffers, but last minute changes broke it.

Current clients (build 384 and up) are far more tolerant of mixed
buffer formats, as well as any 2^32 size blocks that have worked
their way into various buff-in files.

Nonetheless, don't fret about deleting buffer files.  No matter how
well intentioned everyone is, there will be 'lost' blocks for a
variety of reasons, and an effective strategy for dealing with them
will be in place.

-- Tim

Tim Charron
tcharron at interlog.com