[RC5] Disappointed with d.net

James Mastros root at jennifer-unix.dyn.ml.org
Thu Jan 15 22:30:59 EST 1998

On Thu, 15 Jan 1998, Matt Perry wrote:
> On Thu, 15 Jan 1998, Jeff Lawson wrote:
>
> > Rocke Verser is currently helping us with our DES code development.
> > Additionally Andrew Meggs has been helping us for awhile with his Mac
> > client and more recently on a specially optimized DES core.
>
> 	It's a shame that the non-Intel machines are not permitted to
> enter the des2 contest with distributed.net for a while yet, but instead
> effort is being put into increasing the speed of the slower machines by
> single-digit percentage points.  Any gain that was brought on by trying to
> optimize clients to squeeze every last bit of speed out of them has
> already been lost because of numerous machines that cannot participate.

There is a really simple solution here.  I've said it before, and I will
(unless sombody Up There listens) say it again: GPL the thing.  Or, if the
security-through-obscurity still wins, relese the code to the core.  In
short order, I'm fairly certian, you will start getting versions for the
missing archetectures.  (As well as improved Intel cores).  Also, if you
had
telnet access to a compilier for a given arch, couldn't you compile a
client
(with a core written in portable c, but still, 1key/sec better then 0 )
for
that arch?

	-=- James Mastros
--
  Agent K: A person is smart; people are dumb, panicky animals and you
know

	-=- Men In Black (1997, Paramount)

To unsubcribe, send 'unsubscribe rc5' to majordomo at lists.distributed.net