[RC5] Splitting buff-in.des?

George D. Nincehelser george at nishnabotna.com
Fri Jan 16 14:00:53 EST 1998

Anssi Saari wrote:

> Since I somewhat stupidly downloaded 1000 DES blocks, which would take my
> Pentium 40 days or so to check, I'm wondering if it would be possible to
> just "shave off" some blocks from my buff-in.des and give them to some
> other computer to check? Otherwise, with bad luck, the contest might be
> delayed if the right block is sitting on my hard disk...

Look on the bright side.  More than likely, your 1000 blocks DO NOT
contain
the correct key.  Therefore, you have most likely saved the group the
time of
checking them.

Ain't statistics wonderful? ;-)

In all seriousness, I don't think it really matters.

On a related note, however, I have one machine that isn't always on the
network, thus I gave it a very large in-buffer (also 1000 blocks).  It
won't
be networkable again for a while, so the out-buffer is also going to grow
for
a while.

On the off-chance that I hit the key with this machine, what happens?
Will
anything alert me that a potential winner is sitting in my out-buffer
(spurring me to get re-connected sooner and flush the buffer)?  Or will
nothing be known until the actual flushing of the blocks to the server?

I know it probably doesn't matter statistically, but I'm just currious.

GDN

To unsubcribe, send 'unsubscribe rc5' to majordomo at lists.distributed.net