[RC5] Macs can crack DES keys too...

Seth Dillingham seth at snet.net
Fri Jan 16 20:16:32 EST 1998

Matt Perry (matt at primefactor.com), on 1/16/98 8:03 PM, wrote the
following:

>Is it freely distributable?  Where can we get it?
>

>On Fri, 16 Jan 1998, Joe Laffey wrote:
>
>> Mac folks...
>>
>> Don't forget about VirtualPC. You can crack DES keys (albeit much slower)
>> running VirtualPC on a PowerMac...
>>
>> I have found the AMD K5 optimized code to run the fastest on the
>> VirtualPC, even though they claim to emulate a Pentium.

I've had people asking me about this, because of the distributed-mac site.

Quoting their web page,
http://www.connectix.com/html/connectix_virtualpc.html

>Connectix Virtual PC is a complete standards-based Pentium MMX PC in
>software using standards-based components, such as Sound Blaster Pro and
>S3 Video.

Knowing the nuts on this list (I mean that in the friendliest of ways),
some of you will run out and buy a copy just to run the DES client... for
a whole day or two. Then Andrew (2)Meggs will finally release the Mac
version. Believe me, there's going to be a HUGE difference in speed
between running the x86 client on a mac in pc emulation mode, and running
a somewhat-optimized client written FOR the mac.

However, if you already HAVE VirtualPC, then it would be interesting to
hear what your current speeds are... I know one thing for sure: you're
cracking more DES keys than I am right now!

Seth
To unsubcribe, send 'unsubscribe rc5' to majordomo at lists.distributed.net