[RC5] Macs can crack DES keys too...

Joe Laffey joelaff at laffey-stl.com
Sat Jan 17 01:08:34 EST 1998

On Fri, 16 Jan 1998, Barry Nathan wrote:

> >However, if you already HAVE VirtualPC, then it would be interesting to
> >hear what your current speeds are... I know one thing for sure: you're
> >cracking more DES keys than I am right now!
>
> After running the client for a while, I'm getting about 93kkeys/sec with
> Virtual PC on my UMAX SuperMac C500 603e/180, with the default 256K L2
> cache, MacOS 8, and 48MB of RAM with VM set to 64MB.

326Kkeys/sec with a 275/275/1Mb backside Newer card, 289Kk/sec with a
225/604e 256k cache.

AMD K5 optimized code seems to be the best for me.

Joe Laffey
LAFFEY Computer Imaging
St. Louis, MO
joe at laffey-stl.com
http://www.laffey-stl.com/imaging/

    Think your machine is wicked fast?  Prove it!
   Visit http://rc5.distributed.net  and join the
 effort to prove the necessity of strong encryption!

To unsubcribe, send 'unsubscribe rc5' to majordomo at lists.distributed.net