[RC5] what do the website stats really measure?

Victor Magdic vmagdic at talas.com
Sun Jan 18 10:35:42 EST 1998

I've just joined the rc5-des effort and I must say I'm enjoying it!

I have a question about the individual/team stats on the website. What
does
the "total blocks" represent? Is this the number of block requested or the
number of blocks actually returned by the individual/team?

My experience would suggest it's the number of blocks requested, because I
checked my own statistics and it reported that I had 24 total blocks, but
my client had only been running for a short while, and I know it had only
done about 13 blocks by that time.

It seems that if the figures are showing blocks requested, then it would
be
easy to inflate the stats. I guess this doesn't hurt the cracking effort
in
general, but it would mean the rankings don't mean very much.

victor

--
Victor Magdic, Principal
Talas, Information Technology Solutions