[RC5] v3, etc.

Peter Bortas peter at idonex.se
Mon Jan 19 01:24:51 EST 1998

"Jeremy D. Zawodny" <jzawodn at wcnet.org> writes:

> At 08:46 PM 1/18/98 +0100, Peter Bortas wrote:
>
> >It would be nice if there was a bytecode-core so that more obscure
> >platforms like Acorn, Amiga or whatever didn't have to wait for new
> >cores. Also, a security manager wouldn't hurt, and thats much easier
> >if you define your own bytecode.
> >
> >One obvious candidate would be Java.
> >
> >Obviously this wouldn't be as fast as a natively compiled core, but it
> >let's more people participate.
>
> I'd be really surprised if that was a worthwhile tradeoff. Compiled code
> for x86, Sparc, and so on is SOOOO much faster than Java. You'd probably
> need to increase the number of crackers by a factor of 5, 10, or more just
> to *break even*.

Yes, that is true, but you wouldn't have those crackers in the first
place if the client didn't support some kind of bytecode. And it
doesn't have to be Java bytecode. We could define our own bytecode or
use something faster like Semantic Dictionary Encoding.

The prime reason I mentioned Java is that the knowledge of Java is
broad, and it has a working security manager.

> What do you envision in a security manager?

It would be nice to know that it tries to prevent plugins from killing
my system, formatting the harddrive or uploading the password database
to a networked server.

--
Peter Bortas                   http://peter.bortas.org
Idonex AB                      http://www.idonex.com