[RC5] v3, etc.

Joe Sunday void at null.net
Sun Jan 18 22:48:32 EST 1998

Peter Bortas wrote:

> Joe Sunday <void at null.net> writes:
> <SNIP>

> core. Also, you'll need separate cores for each project. However,
> > writing the first core in Ansi-C (Or any other standard language
> > available on multiple platforms) would allow cores to be compiled
> > for all platforms from one source, with optimized assembly routines
> > for each platform following, as the C version likely won't be as
> > fast as a hand-tuned assembly version designed to take advantage of
> > certian features on the host machine.
>
> It would be nice if there was a bytecode-core so that more obscure
> platforms like Acorn, Amiga or whatever didn't have to wait for new
> cores. Also, a security manager wouldn't hurt, and thats much easier

If you write one core in C, you don't need to make a machine independent
byte
code, just compile the one file with a compiler on every platform. Should
be
possible to have cores for everyone out within a day or so, at least
functional
ones. They'll be slower than hand tuned assebly, but you'll have them out
right
away, and they'll still be faster than java or any other byte-code like
implementation where a translation is required at runtime on every
machine.
Machines for which coders are available can have special tuned versions
as time
goes on. As for a security manager, I assume that someone at d.net will
go over
the core source, and we can limit the system calls to those in the
standard C
library, which prevents someone from looking at your registry(Win95),
etc. (In
fact, this would have to be anyway in order to ensure portability), and
limit use
of file operators and such. A malicious core would be spotted before it
made it
to us, I would hope. I sincerely hope d.net will not distribute cores for
which
the source hasn't been reviewed.

Joe

To unsubcribe, send 'unsubscribe rc5' to majordomo at lists.distributed.net