[RC5] what do the website stats really measure?

Colin L. Hildinger colin at ionet.net
Sun Jan 18 20:20:35 EST 1998

The blocks reported are those returned in increments of 2^28 sized
blocks.  If you're using a larger block size (say 2^30) then the number
reported in the stats is 4x as many as have been returned.  IOW, it's
equal to the number of blocks returned *if* you were doing 2^28 sized
blocks.  Also note that the stats only update at midnight GMT, so your
blocks don't show up instantly.

On Sun, 18 Jan 1998 10:35:42 -0500, Victor Magdic wrote:

>I've just joined the rc5-des effort and I must say I'm enjoying it!
>
>I have a question about the individual/team stats on the website. What
>does
>the "total blocks" represent? Is this the number of block requested or the
>number of blocks actually returned by the individual/team?
>
>My experience would suggest it's the number of blocks requested, because I
>checked my own statistics and it reported that I had 24 total blocks, but
>my client had only been running for a short while, and I know it had only
>done about 13 blocks by that time.
>
>It seems that if the figures are showing blocks requested, then it would
>be
>easy to inflate the stats. I guess this doesn't hurt the cracking effort
>in
>general, but it would mean the rankings don't mean very much.

Colin L. Hildinger

CRACK 64-bit RC5 WITH OS/2 NOW!
http://www.ionet.net/~colin/rc5.html

To unsubcribe, send 'unsubscribe rc5' to majordomo at lists.distributed.net