[RC5] new mac client, sort of

David McNett nugget at slacker.com
Mon Jan 19 09:55:34 EST 1998

On 19-Jan-1998, Matthew L Bennett wrote:
> I'm thinking distributed.net went into this whole thing wrong.

In what way?  I've gotten a handful of emails recently from members of
the Macintosh community that imply that distributed.net has, in some way,
impuned the Macintosh platform.  We've been accused of treating Macs
as "second-class citizens" and have been threatened with boycotts for
our horrible treatment of the macintosh community as a whole.

Frankly, I find the reaction puzzling.

The lack of a Macintosh client is due to a lack of Macintosh developers.

There is no hidden agenda, no ulterior motive, and no desire on our part
to exclude macs.  It's just that I, Bovine, Duncan, Tim, Neil, and the dozen
or so other client developers and distributed.net coordinators don't have
the equipment nor experience to build you a Mac client.  If you have a
problem with that then find us a mac developer.

You have no idea how frustrating it is for me to sit and watch our Mac
participants forced to either ignore the DES challenge entirely or be
forced to sacrifice their stats and run the unattributed DESCHALL client.
(btw: Thanks Rocke!)

It's not as if we sat down and picked the order for client releases.  Clients
are released in the order that the developers finish them, and there really
isn't any overlap of effort either (i.e. -- the guy who gives you the Sparc
client is not involved at all in Win32 GUI development, so the Win32 GUI is
*not* being held up by the sparc client, etc...)

To unsubcribe, send 'unsubscribe rc5' to majordomo at lists.distributed.net