[RC5] new mac client, sort of

gordon grieder grub at grub.net
Tue Jan 20 07:01:01 EST 1998

Nugget says:
> There is no hidden agenda, no ulterior motive, and no desire on our part
> to exclude macs.  It's just that I, Bovine, Duncan, Tim, Neil, and the dozen
> or so other client developers and distributed.net coordinators don't have
> the equipment nor experience to build you a Mac client.  If you have a
> problem with that then find us a mac developer.
>
> You have no idea how frustrating it is for me to sit and watch our Mac
> participants forced to either ignore the DES challenge entirely or be
> forced to sacrifice their stats and run the unattributed DESCHALL client.

I don't stick my nose in too often, but here goes:

Judging from the amount of blocks being crunched by Mac clients in the
RC5
56 and 64 bit contests, I'd have to say this is a sincere statement.
I'm one of those Mac users who (fortunately) also has 2 x86 machines at
home.  My macs at the office still run RC5-64, my home macs and x86
machines
run DES.

There's a few things the Mac users can do:

1 - Keep running the RC5-64 client.  Hey, you'll be higher up in the
    (dubiously) all-important stats by the time the rest of the world
    runs RC5 again.  ;)

2 - Run DES for the team spirit and have your blocks go in anonymously.

3 - Run Virtual PC and crunch with a Win95 client.
    (Don't laugh, as a joke/test I ran RC5-64 on V95 on a 603e-200 and
    crunched ~80Kkeys/sec sans any optimizations with MacOS)

4 - Buy Code Warrior Gold.  Learn C and assembly, and "roll your own".

MOST IMPORTANTLY:
5 - Quit whining.  Time is money in the DES contest and I'm sure Nugget
    et al are well aware of all the PowerPC cycles not being used for
it.

I'm sticking with 1 & 2 for the time being (multiple machines).

[back to lurking]

--
gordon r. grieder                  <mailto:gordg at caprice.mb.ca>
network administrator                <http://www.caprice.mb.ca>