[RC5] new mac client, sort of

C. Smith csmith at nikondev.com
Tue Jan 20 12:35:24 EST 1998

My responses:

1) Keep running the RC5-64 client: I do at home when I'm offline.

2) Run DES: I do and crank out 1006 kkeys/sec sustained during the
overnight

3) I'd rather run RC5 at full speed then waste all the cycles running
either
emulator

4) roll your own: I have Codewarrior Professional, I know C and some
assembly
If someone gives me some spec and some source code of what is allready
going
on I might just do that.

>Nugget says:
>> There is no hidden agenda, no ulterior motive, and no desire on our part
>> to exclude macs.  It's just that I, Bovine, Duncan, Tim, Neil, and the dozen
>> or so other client developers and distributed.net coordinators don't have
>> the equipment nor experience to build you a Mac client.  If you have a
>> problem with that then find us a mac developer.
>>
>> You have no idea how frustrating it is for me to sit and watch our Mac
>> participants forced to either ignore the DES challenge entirely or be
>> forced to sacrifice their stats and run the unattributed DESCHALL client.
>
>I don't stick my nose in too often, but here goes:
>
>Judging from the amount of blocks being crunched by Mac clients in the
>RC5
>56 and 64 bit contests, I'd have to say this is a sincere statement.
>I'm one of those Mac users who (fortunately) also has 2 x86 machines at
>home.  My macs at the office still run RC5-64, my home macs and x86
>machines
>run DES.
>
>There's a few things the Mac users can do:
>
>1 - Keep running the RC5-64 client.  Hey, you'll be higher up in the
>    (dubiously) all-important stats by the time the rest of the world
>    runs RC5 again.  ;)
>
>2 - Run DES for the team spirit and have your blocks go in anonymously.
>
>3 - Run Virtual PC and crunch with a Win95 client.
>    (Don't laugh, as a joke/test I ran RC5-64 on V95 on a 603e-200 and
>    crunched ~80Kkeys/sec sans any optimizations with MacOS)
>
>4 - Buy Code Warrior Gold.  Learn C and assembly, and "roll your own".
>
>MOST IMPORTANTLY:
>5 - Quit whining.  Time is money in the DES contest and I'm sure Nugget
>    et al are well aware of all the PowerPC cycles not being used for
>it.
>
>I'm sticking with 1 & 2 for the time being (multiple machines).
>
>[back to lurking]
>
>--
>gordon r. grieder                  <mailto:gordg at caprice.mb.ca>
>network administrator                <http://www.caprice.mb.ca>
>caprice distributors limited                 voice 204.775.4473
>winnipeg, mb, canada                           fax 204.772.9548
>
>--

Charles Smith
Software Development Engineer
Nikon, Inc. Electronic Imaging Department
1300 Walt Whitman Road
Melville, NY 11747
516/547-4305
516/547-0361 (Fax)