[RC5] oddball DES vs. CPU speeds

Remi Guyomarch rguyom at mail.dotcom.fr
Tue Jan 20 21:15:17 EST 1998

Anthony Rumble wrote:

> Ask and yea shall recieve..
>
> MASM to GAS converter
> http://www.delorie.com/djgpp/faq/converting/asm2s-sed.html

Thanks for the pointer, I will take a look on it.

> Dunno how good it is..
>
> Also, have you thought about using the DES code that comes with SSleay?

Yes, it was the first think we tried. It's a very fast portable library,
but it's not even near the performance we need.
The new client (due RSN) will come with a new BrydDES core that's 8%
faster on Pentium Pro, and still the same (very good) speed on Pentiums
and 486 cpus.

For other CPUs I've used the SolNET bitslice code, which even if slower
than the DESCHALL clients (26%), is better than nothing...

--
RÈmi		Don't waste your computer's time. Distribute it!
			http://www.distributed.net/

To unsubcribe, send 'unsubscribe rc5' to majordomo at lists.distributed.net