[RC5] Upgrading to 2.7001.383 (Linux-mt)

Ray Vanlandingham solitaire at soliton.dyn.ml.org
Tue Jan 20 11:18:15 EST 1998

As a followup to the possible bug that I just posted...

On the DES-II clients page, there is a link to version 2.7001.383 of the
client....when downloaded and run, this client puts the following line
into the log file.

>RC5-70 Client v2.7001.381 started.  Using solitaire at soliton.dyn.ml.org as
>email address.

Either the maintainer of the webpage is mistaken as to what is the latest
build of the Linux client, of the programmers haven't been bothering to do
the 'cosmetic' editing of the text strings included in the program. I'm
inclined to believe the latter, as the line...

>Visit http://www.distributed.net/ for more information. 'rc564 HELP' for
>usage

is still shown by the client when it is started, /despite/ the fact that
the client executable is now named rc5des. I pointed this out on the IRC
channel a few hours after the DES-II contest was started, while Nugget and
Bovine were both present and chatting, so I think it's a fair assumption
that they know about it. I understand that the programmers are hard
pressed for time as it is, but the inability to do a 10-second search and
replace is ridiculous. maybe I'm way out of line, and barking up the wrong
tree, but this looks really bad.

Ray Vanlandingham

To unsubcribe, send 'unsubscribe rc5' to majordomo at lists.distributed.net